Sunday, November 2, 2008

IMFL - A mixed bag of emotions

What a beautiful day it was. AM preparations went as planned and pretty soon E and I were down at the beach ready for the cannon. This yr there was a sandbar about 20 feet from shore so it made the swim start rather interesting. I stayed to the inside until the corners (totally legal). Corners were typical mayhem. elbow thrashing, wild kicks, etc. Winds were about 10mph for the start so it made for some waves and chop as you got inland. For the 2 loop swim I got toward shore and was able to maneuver right to see Erik. But soon after me.... E noticed a guy slyly (word??) take off FLIPPERS and let them float to about where he would be re-entering the swim. For those who don't know... THIS IS NOT LEGAL. So E snapps pictures of the wave runner totally catching him in the act, pleading his case and they let him continue his swim. HAHA!!! (click on photo and check out his left hand... those are big flippers!)

Soon I'm out of the water in just over 1:10:?? 26th (?) in my AG. PR swim over Kona's 1:17 and right on goal. A quick change of clothing and I'm getting on my weapon. I love the bike. We are like one. This was beautiful. First 50 miles were pretty much into the wind, but still holding 20mph or so. Around mile 30 I had a little distraction... dropped my bottle of salt tabs while trying to get out my clif bar. I was pretty solo at that point so slammed on the breaks, turned around and walked back to get it... on route dropped the clif bar too. Oh goodness... then while trying to mount the bike my right toe warmer came off. "Come on Julie" So I'm about ready to mount when this 20+grouping was coming up.... I know from time trials I can go from 0-20 fast when I need to. I tried to get out ahead and got sucked up. Oh goodness, I don't want this. I signal to try to break out and feel i did when only seconds later was caught by the pack - all men - interesting. Well this then goes on thru to about mile 50 where the special needs bags were. some of the hills dropped a few people out, but it was crazy. I dropped back some, but have to admit it kept coming back together. I had a couple guys say nice comments on my riding after they realized I was just as strong as they are and are not on for just suckin somebody's wheel. The real (finally!) breaking point was mile 75ish where there was a u-turn - finally we got the tail wind and it broke up the pack. It was a NE wind and we were going E for miles. Some pushed it some probably lightened up. Thanks to the Ynde-disk (Sweet sub-9) I was flying with a sail with mild effort... after all there is a marathon to do. well about mile 100 I start to cramp in my left aductor - not easy to stretch while biking. I tried, but continued to loose speed and get passed one by one... no packs, but recognized all of them. Tracking my progress along the way I hollared to E at 78 that I was right on track, for around a 5:05ish bike. I continued to do the math... and was elated to be coming in sub 5:15... final in time 5:09, 2nd fastest AG time. A quick change, biffy stop (I had to pee... no gut issues at all) and I was running.

Coach Jared's advice for the start of the run was 10 min at a very conservative pace - slower then planned for race pace. GPS said right around 8's and I was hoping to hold a 7:45 pace. I thought I was ok; this is what I trained to be holding. Well as those who have done an IM know, you're leg reality hits and for me it was only after a couple miles. You feel things, Pain no, discomfort YES. GREAT! No cramps but I was running what i could and would check GPS and see 8:30's. Walking the aid stations for nutrition was a must and I would watch my min/mi avg drop. E said to me at mile 3.5 that he thought I was 5th in my AG so far (had just gotten passed by some speed demon that ran a 3:20 - hhhmm drafting perhaps???) Well as it turns out I held 5th for the majority of the time. Around 22-23 I saw a gal pass from my AG and was hoping that she was on her first lap.... well no she wasn't and I ended 6th out of 141 that started.

I'll go to the Kona roll down and see if any of the top 4-5 declined their spot. Cross your fingers.

Overall, happy with the swim, ecstatic about the bike and dissappointed in the run. But I did give it all I could and even gutted out a finish line cartwheel (my signature) with no cramping, but no adreneline rush either.

I crossed the line and was immediately carried to medical as I was so out of it. I was only down 5 lbs, but had a temp of 92 and was very cold. At some points I had the attention of 5 people getting vitals, charting, etc all the details - very organized. In my 11 yrs of triathlons and 5 previous IM's I've never set foot in the medical tent. no crashes or anything. I had nothing left in me, it was all spread out over that course. That, I am proud of. BUT could I have saved 2 min somewhere to hang onto 5th??? maybe, but it is what it is and I finished in 10:32, an hour and 1 min PR over my qualifying 2005 IMWI. PR swim, bike and run - probably transitions too.

A HUGE thank you to E, for being the best most supportive hubby. He took some 400 pictures, capturing the day - thanks to getting a media pass, he was right in the thick of it all! Super fun to see him. Also THANK YOU to all of you who were thinking of me throughout the training and on race day. You mean so much to me.
Oh the doc just called.... precsciption today is pool side R&R!!!
Thanks again huge hugs to all!!! julie :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great race. Thanks for the blow by blow, very interesting. I'd say you left it all on the course, you're an animal. Very impressive performance, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Kona spot.
Denny Johnson

Cy said...

Congrats Julie! Smokin bike split-I'm glad that wheel worked for you.

I can't believe how tough your AG was...Top 1,2 amateurs were in 35-39.

You put up a very good fight all the way to the finish. AMAZING!!

Enjoy the recovery! Waffle House???!!

GoBigGreen said...

Nice post and again, way to go! I hope you recover quickly..and the great weather we are having up here stays around till you make your way up north. Question from a newbie: So is IMFL draft legal? Or did i just not get how you could be riding in a pack?
Again, rest up and way to represent!

Jennifer Harrison said...

WOW, 35-39 AG was tough this year - but you did an awesome job and 6th is GREAT!!! Glad you had a great day and enjoyed it all! Fingers crossed for the Kona slot.ENJOY YOUR R&R! :) Jen H.

PS Did someone say WAFFLE HOUSE (CY?)

Darcy Franklin said...

I don't know anyone that leaves more on the course than you do. Almost to the detriment to your health! No looking back and second guessing your performance. Be proud of what you accomplished. You have no control over who shows up to a race on any particular day. It is about you and how far you have come. Awesome performance lady!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Great job, Julie - way to give it all, and leave nothing!
I get so discouraged when those packs go by. It's cheating - they know it, and everybody knows it. I once asked a guy on my wheel if he really needed to cheat off a girl to call himself an Ironman. He yelled something to me in German or something and backed off.
But the guy with flippers takes the cheaters cake. Can I copy that picture for my own blog?
Anyway - great job - it's always to easy to be proud of you!
xoxoxo
Jenny

Curt Wood said...

Congrats on a great race. We were tracking you at the shop and rooting for you along the way. I love that online tracking.

I can't believe that guy had flippers! Hilarious.

ken said...

Julie....I am so proud to be your dad. You put out one heck of a great effort on Sat and I had great pleasure tracking you during the day. It was so good to get Erik's messages during the event and just know I was there with you every step. That is true in life too. I am there with you. May God be your strenth and guide. There is so much he has in store for you.
And you too Erik.....you are one heck of a strong force in all for all of us who know you. I love you both so much. Remember the saying..."You can't direct the wind but can control the sails".
Love, Dad

terrence said...

Congrats Julie...that age group was insane this year!!

As for the guy with the flippers, Eric wasn't the only one who noticed him, he's even got his own thread over on Slowtwitch!!!

Chad said...

Great job, Julie!!!

If flippers and drafting are now legal in tris, I may have to start doing them again.

juliemac said...

Erik and Jules-
What a great day!!! Super RACE!!
I wish I was there with you in Sunny Florida!!
Lets race another Ironman together someday!! Oh, how about IM WI 09!!
Ahhhhhhhh for now!!..........Off season is HERE.
Lets enjoy that!!!! Maybe some more sledding this year!!
You guys are the BEST!!!!

rr said...

Hi Julie! Love the race report - smoking fast bike woman, and what a huge PR!! So follow up please.. Kona? :)

rachel