Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ironman Evolution Erik Style - What have I done?

1982-Watching, uh, "stuff" run down the legs of Julie Moss. Those people are nuts!!
1983-1998 - Those people are still nuts!!
1999- Watching Julie complete the "Extreme" Ironman triathlon in Lake Geneva, WI. This wife of mine is one tough lady...and she's crazy, but I support her in every way possible.
2000-2002 - I've done a few local sprints and even an oly. I would never even consider a half-iron, let alone a full.
2003-2005 - Watching Julie complete IMOO in hell-like temps, even qualifying for Kona in 05. This wife of mine is so inspiring!! Maybe I'll do a half in 06 after not doing a single race in 05.
2006 - Pigman was so tough, my butt could never sit on a seat for 112 miles though. Kona trip was unbelievable!! So many fit people, such inspiration. Boy that 5 mile run on Alii Drive was a b-otch. I can see why people would do an Ironman, but I doubt that I ever could/would.
2007 - Pigman still tough but improved. Definitely in better shape, but could I ever really...I mean really consider the full race? I'll see how 08 goes.
2008 - Well Julie's doing IMFL in November, I've now done my third Pigman Half. We'll see. I'll decide on Monday after IMOO.
09/08/08- 9:15AM-IMOO Registration Form "Congratulations on reserving your spot in the 2009 Ford Ironman Wisconsin!"

What have I done? (Coach Jared's response...I don't know, you're screwed!!) He was kidding of course, but my mind is going 100mph thinking of the training he has in store for this aging/sagging/greying bod of mine. I'm also picturing the finish line and thanking Dad and Laurie for watching over me. Okay, can't...see...screen...now. Just a sec...

The great news is that I have the worlds best training partner in Julie and a large group of friends who happen to be amazing triathletes!! To get better, train with someone better than yourself...well, I have a ton of "someones".

Julie just said, "I'll be downstairs bun (short for honey bun)." That is code for get off the computer and let's getting spinning.

I suppose I'll have to swim (ugh) and run too.

Thanks all, for your unending support (tri and non-tri related). It means the world to me!!

Gotta go now.

-E

6 comments:

Catherine Lee said...

It's awesome you're signed up for Moo next year!! I think there are many of us that can relate to your "ironman evolution". For Terry and me, it all began with a 1/2 marathon back in '98... :) So are you going to get the foot tattoo next year then too??

GoBigGreen said...

I dont know you but yes, that wife of your's will be the BEST training partner/motivator/friend for your journey ahead. If i ever decide to do an IM i will be knocking on her door and all the doors of the friends you refer to.
Go Erik!!
Julia

Darcy Franklin said...

You have just shown major evidence in evolution. For all of you non-believers, Eric has just proved it exists! I however, have not evolved quite as quickly. I am still adapting to my current environment and won't continue to evolve until I know I have the time to train it right.

Congratulations on pressing the register button. You will make your dad and sis very proud. Train it right, do it right, and I believe you will be addicted for life.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Congrats Erik! What have you done? This -- taken the first step toward a rewarding and inspiring day that you'll only fully understand the coolness of, once you do it yourself.
I'll hold your camera for the day, okay?
Jenny

Cy said...

Who Hoo!! I'm so excited for you. Of course I was thinking about Australia next year on Sept 13th, but being part of this adventure is just something too special to pass up.

Let's see what happens in Hawaii-Hopefully I won't be too scared off!

juliemac said...

Erik-
I am so excited for you and Julie.
Its going to be great fun training.
You know what's involved....the fun and the work.
I know you are going to love it!!
And yes I believe you will get lots of guidance from your dad and sister.
2009 is going to be a great year!