Monday, June 9, 2008

Finally an update!!!

Hey I'm/we're back....for sake of catch up mode... I'm going to do a recap, but be brief (can expressive's be brief? - yes if you have some driver traits in you)

Wed - 5/21 - BDTT 2 of 9 in the series. took off about 10 seconds 16:33 on a 7.2 mi course. pushed hard but for some reason have not yet been able to tap into that next level... i can feel a difference - I'm not there yet. Erik was at home simulating his own 10 TT near home. His commitment to become a better athlete has meant that he miss more of these low key (boring spectator?) events. miss him being here, but love the drive and determination to want to be a stronger and faster athlete. Dear friend Cathy and i had a great post race run - strong conversational pace.

Sat - 5/24 - the Beautiful Apple Duathlon (5k run,33k bike, 5k run) in Sartell, MN - I have done this one for 3 or 4 yrs now. nice race - always really well run with great friendly volunteers and athletes. Erik was planning to take picture - but a little miscommunication on camera equipment left him cheering with Mark for the duration - but said it was probably the most exciting race he's ever watched. Payton was along for this on since E was not racing and we were road tripping for the rest of the holiday weekend.

This yr Apple Du was the regional qualifier for worlds (in Italy - no desire for me to go) so they decided to have an elite wave for those of us wanting to gun it but not be on the line for a worlds qualifier spot (that is my guess for this being the only yr for elite wave) - typically just AG waves. Well these women's and men's field were stacked - that might be an understatement. I raced my arse off and while not having a solid CC/track background just can't toe the line and expect to pull it off with my running abilities. So I think I was in about 12th coming into T1, then worked my way to 4th off the bike (behind the regional champs Marni walth, Marlo Crosby and CY) The two I just passed in the last couple miles of the bike were going to be coming on my heals, pro triathlete Heather havland and past world du champ Sarah Kolpin.... Heather, aka gazelle, ever so smoothly clipped by at mile 1 and Sarah came at mile 2... I held on to 6th. I would have been absolutely thrilled to be anywhere above this position as the talent of those in 1-5 was solid, consistent and almost predictable. Anything can happen, but you can tell that these ladies plan and always do in order to minimize the effects of the "what if's".

From Sartell - we hit up our favorite Chipotle with K and CY, then ventured on to Sioux falls. My mom and dad are in Sioux falls, and due to incredibly unfortunate circumstances are separated. E and I have been to visit my mom at the house 3-4 times since my dad's been out of the house. The mission is to get it ready to sell. This trip the focus was on the dining room and the pool. DR: prep for painting (taking off wallpaper boarder glue etc), getting it painted, and putting it back together before we left on Monday. Pool: prep for opening it up for summer. Mom's been incredibly strong - very admirable with the roller coasters she's been through. I love my mom dearly - we laugh and cry and she's so good with positive one liners that have helped define who I've become. The Golden rule and excuse rather then accuse, are a couple that come to mind - she's full of great insight and helping me see some situations from another perspective. I am left brain and she is right brain... She's been the proud mama as I've grown in this sport... so supportive, so giving of her time and energies. Mom, if you ever read this... I love you dearly!!!

E and I squeezed in some training, but mostly focused on mom and her projects....We all had a great Memorial day weekend.

That carries us thru May 31st....Next post will be a double header.... June first pigman sprint and June 8th Manitou, oh and BDTT#3. E and I both raced the tri's so I'm going to encourage him to share his perspective. Or maybe we'll each do one.

Until next time - (tomorrow??) Make it a great day!

2 comments:

Darcy Franklin said...

Thanks for the update! You are a great daughter, amazing athlete and wonderful person. Sounds like you got your personality from your mom!

juliemac said...

Great race details!! You are having a SUPER season Jules! Man, Apple Du was FAST wasn't it??
This season is going to be great fun. Can't wait to hear from you and Erik on the Pig and Manitou.

Family is so special, you guys are the best!!